Saturday, January 15, 2005

8) Day Three - Cancer Sucks!

So the first night of chemo was a tragedy. I made a grave error in judgement that I hesitate to post... I gave into my big weakness and ate a huge piece of chocolate cake and paid for it all night. Suffice it to say I have sworn off chocolate cake FOREVER (but don't hold me to that once I'm all better).

Day two I woke up feeling pretty good. Rene and I took the dogs and went down to Balboa Park for an hour long walk. It felt so good. The sun was shining and the air was brisk. Man, San Diego is pretty awesome. We came back and I was able to eat a banana, an egg, and an english muffin. Then I pretty much sat around all day, then went next door to the Ryan's and told them about my predicament. Rene had an appointment at 2 and I was scheduled for my Nuelasta shot was at 3:45. We drove through rush hour traffic to get up to the Cancer Center in Encinitas. The drive sucked because we had the day off and still had to go through that monstrosity of Friday commute. They gave me the shot, in the back of my upper arm! ouch! Then Rene took me to one of my favorite pizza joints Oggi's. Two hours after my shot i was overwhelmed with nausea, i clocked out around 6:30.

Day three has been the worse. After sleeping for 14 hours I woke up feeling lousy. Rene and I walked down to the store to get some water. The walk back up the hill was another lesson in trying to do too much too soon. After half an egg and a short trip to the bank i was ready for more sleep. The Nuelasta is a drug that boost the production of white blood cells, and this happens in the bone marrow. So most of the flat bones in my body ache; my hips and shoulders are very sore. I am so weak that i can barely hold mself up. I did get a call from the massage school and they asked if i could come in for a massage around three thirty today, it could have come at a better time. Im signing off for today.

4 comments:

Teri said...

I'm glad to hear you're still holding up! I miss you and Rene. Maybe I can come down and be your couch buddy and we can try to stitch-n-bitch. :) Love ya

Maureen McHugh said...

I've been really lucky--almost no nausea. Maybe you should call the doc and let him know? There's a lot they can do.

My doctor is adamant that I should call for any reason, night ro day.

Anonymous said...

Hey Heather:
I agree with the last post that you should let the doctor know how you're feeling. There might be some magic pill that will help you get through the harder than expected days....I'm thinking about you alot. We all thought about you last night at your moms.
Love you honey...
Aunt Joan

Unknown said...

Hey, Heather -- sorry to hear you're experiencing such nausea. I agree with Maureen that you should communicate that to your doc. Another thing is to make sure that you're getting in LOTS of fluids, and also that you're eating several small meals a day. I've heard repeatedly that both of these are critical. And the anti-nausea med's are said to be more effective if you just keep them in your system, so they're benefit is in place BEFORE the nausea can hit you too badly. I've been on both Zofran and low-dose Decadron, and I believe that they've helped. (Along with the water and regular eats.) I feel really badly for you!

I'm just completely wiped out -- like zero energy. Headaches, mouth soreness, and tonight a big dizzy spell. But -- aside from a big wave early this morning before I took the Zofran/Decadron combo and then went back to sleep -- no significant nausea.

I forget, are you on ABVD? Or Stanford V? I've heard those Nuelasta shots are a killer -- but they do work. Anything to keep you on schedule, right? The sooner we get through this, the sooner we can move on with our lives and take the good lessons from this and put the pain away.

Hugs, Heather -- I'm with you in spirit!