Monday, January 10, 2005

6) Bob Update

Sorry it's been so long but I've actually been so busy lately. Here is the latest update of my quest for a Bob-free me!

When I last left off I had taken my last CT scan. I was scheduled for an EKG the next day and a pulmonary function test which proved that both my heart and lungs are optimal shape for my height, weight, age, and sex. Good start!

Thursday last week, Rene and I went to "chemo class" with the head nurse at our clinic. It was very informative. We learned how to read my entire blood work report and what to look for in the numbers and which drugs help which deficiencies. She also gave us an entire binder full of a report on the exact drugs and dosages that I will be having with print outs of info packets on each drug. The binder also had my latest blood work and room to add all my reports from before and from now on. She also taught us when my weak and strong days would most likely be and how to schedule my life around those days. I enjoyed meeting fellow cancer folks and I left there with a renewed sense of confidence.

Saturday night Rene wanted to take me out for my "last, big hurrah" before chemo starts. We went out to dinner with a couple of friends and stayed up late talking. It was a really fun night; although we paid for it the next day.

Sunday , Step 1, I got all my haircut off in anticipation of hair loss from the chemo. It's a totally cute style. I was a little nervous about it but I'm so happy with the results.

Today, Step 2, I had a port-a-cath installed in my shoulder. They knocked me out with some fancy sleeping agent and it was a really painless experience. I'm a little sore now but nothing like my surgery had been.

Tomorrow we have an appointment with my oncologist to go over all the final details and I should be starting chemo on Thursday. I'll try to update this tomorrow after meeting with the doctor.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heather,
Brooke and I want you to know that you have been in our thoughts and prayers quite often in the past few weeks. You are a dear friend and we want you to know that you have our love and support. Please don't hestitate to get in touch with us if you need anything at all, or just want to talk.
We would also like to include you on the weekly prayer request list at our church. We believe that God is a powerful ally, especially in times like this.
Hope to hear from you soon. by the way, congrats on the new job, hope that is going well.
You and Rene still need to come over for dinner sometime.
Love,
Larry & Brooke

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather: I love this website you have created. I check it every day to look for any updates you may have posted. Everyone is in awe of your courage and upbeat attitude toward this challenge that's been handed to you. You are an inspiration to all of us. With this kind of strength you can only come out on top. I love you and am so proud to have you for a niece.
Please remember I'm always here if you want to just talk...whether it be a good day or a not so good one.
Love, Aunt Joan