Thursday, January 13, 2005

7) First Day of Chemo

Well today was day one of my attack on Bob...

The center where I'm getting treatment is like a day spa, and as you all know me, aesthetics are everything. My nurse, Rachel, was so great! She reminded me of Molly Shannon from SNL. She giggled and was silly but very compassionate and helpful at the same time. I truly ended up in the right place. If it weren't for my mom's persistence in finding me a new doctor, I never would have known that cancer treatment could be this cool! Rene even got a 20 minute massage. They have a grant that pays for massages for patients and their caregivers. Is that cool or what? We got to pick out our seats and we were in these totally cool, modern recliners (not the barc-o-lounger variety). I had my shall/scarf that mom gave me for Christmas wrapped around me for mom comfort and Rene set me up with a heating pad and a pillow. I was all snuggled up. I'm thinking I want to get a teddy bear or something soft (a Frida replacement-since I can't bring her) to hold with me during treatments - is that childish?

The smartest thing I did was get the port installed in my chest. It's still a little sore since I only got it on Monday, but they put the needle in and I didn't feel a thing the rest of the day. By next time it should be all healed up so it won't hurt as bad. Its pretty trippy though to watch them take blood from your chest.

Okay, so I'm sure you're all wondering how I'm feeling...To tell the truth, this is a walk in the park compared to what I was prepared for. Mom says, "Expect the best, prepare for the best." They gave my a benadryl for any allergy I might have to any of the meds and they also gave me anti-nausea medicine. Both of these combined made it impossible to compete against a sober person in a game of Scrabble. Right now (over 4 hours after treatment) I think most of the discomfort I'm feeling is due to coming off of those woo-woo meds. I'm just kind of tired but can't sleep. I'm supposed to take this anti-nausea medicine at 8 tonight to ward off anything during the night and then I have other meds to take throughout the day tomorrow and the next day if I need them.

Tomorrow I go back to have a Nuelasta shot, which helps boost my white blood count so I'm not susceptible to infection. That med is supposed to make my bones ache as its causing my bone marrow to kick into high gear. I guess I can chalk tomorrow night up to a Friday night at home :)

Thank you to everyone for all your words of encouragement and you phone calls. I heard a good analogy today that seemed to fit really well for how I'm "dealing" with this. I'm like a duck...On top of the water I look fine, just cruising along but under the water my little feet are madly paddling. I do feel strong, especially with the great people I have in my life but I'm going to be honest - this isn't easy. This is the hardest thing I've ever done. I wonder sometimes if its all hit me yet.

Mom and Holly (my darling sister for those of you that don't know) are coming down for my next treatment on Jan. 28. I'm so excited to see them and have them there with me. I know it will ease there minds when they see the kind of place I'm getting treatment from.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Hi! I found your blog from Sarah's blog and I thought I would post. I have Hodgkin's Nodular Sclerosis IIA but it could be B. My doctor is not sure. I have completed 1 cycle of ABVD. I just wanted to let you know to hang in there and I will keep you in my prayers. Let me know if you have any questions. It has been helpful for me to talk to others who are going through this same thing. I have to say I am a little jealous of the massages that you get. Great for you! I am going to have bring that up at my clinic. Take care!

Maureen McHugh said...

I love that you call your Hodgkins 'Bob'! I'm another Hodgkins person--my blog is at http://maureenmcg/blogspot/com and I'm IIIA Nodular Sclerosing and I finished Chemo IV yesterday.

You sound like you've got the right attitude. And I've found that my blog is the best way to let people know how I am. It rea-ssures me and them.

Unknown said...

Wow! Look at this fabulous girls' club! Woo Hoo! Heather, I was excited to read your post! It's very cool that we're so closely in step, timewise, and I love that you reached out to me. :)

So far, so good, right? One down, eleven to go. I'll definitely be checking your blog daily -- I'm pretty good about updating mine. I'm NOT so good about responding to people's comments; I guess I have just felt on overload. I can COMPLETELY relate to your swimming duck analogy. PERFECT. It's all such an effort, and I'm not sure, either, if it's all sunk in. I'm not sure if all of my putting a brave face on everything isn't some form of denial. Or maybe I'm overanalyzing. I don't know.

Let's definitely stay in touch. My email addy is slhawthorne@comcast.net -- or we can just comment to one another! Best to you. I'll update my blog later with how I'm feeling, but I'm feeling a little wierd today so far. Nothing major, but a little off. (Plus the mouth thing is increased.) I hope you're feeling ok, too. We're in this together! (Along with Rene and Lorraine!) :)

Anonymous said...

Hey my dear Heather: I really look forward to reading your updates. What a great place you have found for your treatments! That makes such a difference. Massages too??? Geez, girl.... Rene sounds like he's being a great hubby... Love that guy...love his messages.
Take care honey...
Love, Aunt Joan...PS When I figure out how to get an acceptable userid...I won't be 'anonymous sender' anymore.