Monday, January 03, 2005

5) I have a new doctor!!

Rene and I went to meet my new doctor this morning and it was awesome!! He was compassionate, warm, funny, and didn't show one bit of doctor pretention.

He told a much lighter tale of my Hodgkin's as well. He agreed that it looks like I am a stage 2 but thought that I was barely a B rating (which is awesome because that suggests that maybe this thing isn't raging throughout my body). He wanted me to have another CT scan (this time on my abdomin & pelvis) just to confirm but was very confident that we wouldn't find anything. The best part is that he didn't see a need for another bone marrow aspiration! Woo-hoo! He also thought that I have probably had this for about a year, which would indicate that it is pretty slow moving. Good thing since it will be a month after diagnosis when I finally start treatment.

So, here's where we're at...I am going to have a combined treatment of chemo and radiation. I will have 4 cycles of ABVD chemo (1 cycle is 2 treatments over 4 weeks) and that will be followed up by radiation (don't know the particulars of that yet). If all goes well, I will be starting my chemo next thursday the 13th. 13 is a strange number for me. My wedding anniversary is the 13th, I was diagnosed on my brother's birthday (the 13th), and now I'll be starting my treatment on the 13th. hmmm....

Before starting my chemo there are more tests that have to be done. I had the CT scan today and had to drink about 32oz. of the grosest carbinated orange juice milkshake stuff - blah. Then they injected me with this crazy stuff that makes you all hot and taste metal (the first CT scan had that too but not the drink). I have an EKG tomorrow followed by a pulmanary test since the first two drugs of my ABVD chemo can damage your heart and your lungs.

Rene and I go to "chemo class" on thursday afternoon to learn all about chemo and what to expect. That should be interesting.

I'm feeling very confident about my new doctor and the treatment I'm going to receive!

Thanks to all of you for your kind words of encouragement! That really helps!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heather,

I am so glad that you now have a doctor that has compassion along with wisdom. This is much to scary to be going through with a quack! Thankfully you had the wisdom to seek another doctor. I pray that the Lord will take you through this situation with Peace and he will completely heal you.

Please know that our dearest friend went through this exact disease. It had spread throughout his body and yet with the grace of God he is with us today and is completely cancer free. Heather if you would like to contact him or would like him to contact you, please let me know.

Take care and God Bless you and Rene.

Love,
Kari

Anonymous said...

Hey baby!
Its your first day of chemo and you are in the shower getting ready, and I want to tell you that you are an amazing woman and i am so proud of you. I have no doubt that you will beat this thing. You are the strongest woman I have ever met, which is the number one reason i married you..... well, that and the other thing you do with that rope and the remote control. hmmmmmm oh yeah! sorry forgot for a second where I was at. Ok so lets do this girl! Bob is running for the hills!