Friday, February 25, 2005

22) Half Way Point!

So despite feeling rather crappy up until Tusday this week, I'm at a great place.
We had a meeting/follow-up with Dr. Adler on Tuesday and he was extremely encouraged by by consistantly normal ranged white blood cell counts. He even made mention that he thought at this point the cancer was most likely gone and that we would confirm that with CT Scan & PET Scan after my 3rd cycle. Naturally that was amazing news to here from an experience oncologist. I was just telling Deedra (my SIL) on Saturday that my gut told me it was gone. Weird. So naturally I'm happy about this but it doesn't make chemo any easier, maybe even harder - emotionally that it.

I had chemo #4 yesterday which makes me half way through (Sorry, Sarah I guess I'm a small step ahead of you). It was my hardest time with it too. On my first port access attempt they couldn't get any blood out of me, which was odd. They moved it around a lot but nothing. So another nurse had to come in try again. This time it worked - thank god! I got pretty naseaus while I was there and turned white as a ghost. They gave me some benadryl & more ativan and that made me really sleepy. Rene & Holly both went with me to treatment. They both got massages while there and right when I was feeling a little jealous another massage therapist cam in and gave me an amazing foot massage. After all we eneded up being there for almost 5 hours. I pretty much fought the naseau all night. Took my meds and Holly climbed in bed with me to rub my back and talk while I cried a little. She was exctly what I needed - so gentle! Thank you Holly!

On the way to the cancer center yesterday our car broke down too. Rene was gone during most of treatment trying to get that fixed - turns out its going to cost about $1100. Yeah cause we need that right now.

Feeling nauseau again today but we're going to try to take a walk before having to go up for me Nuelasta shot late afternoon. Bring on the pain meds!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was so good talking to you this morning Heather. Glad you updated today, even though I know you don´t feel well. Also happy you have your lil´sis with you, a nice gentle soul to aid in the healing.
I´ve been hanging out in churches today, meditating and trying to send good waves in your direction. Well, then I had to have a couple of beers, hang out in the zocolo, look at jewelry I think you might like and vola the day is almost over. So from Oaxaca to you, may you have a peaceful night of sleep and even more importantly, a peaceful body.

Unknown said...

Heather, CONGRATULATIONS on getting to the halfway point!! I'm so happy for you!

Big, squishy, heartfelt hugs....

Anonymous said...

Allright I can't remember my freakin password so I had to go anon. What exactly is a port? Do they give you the stuff through that or that for drawling blood? And doesn't it like close up or somthing? I mean, can you spring a leak? Sorry to be so dumb!

Cory
"there is no spoon"

Anonymous said...

Allright I can't remember my freakin password so I had to go anon. What exactly is a port? Do they give you the stuff through that or that for drawling blood? And doesn't it like close up or somthing? I mean, can you spring a leak? Sorry to be so dumb!

Cory
"there is no spoon"

Anonymous said...

Man deja vu. Congrats on getting half way through too! Your doing better than I would!!

Anonymous said...

hola heather feather - Joan wrote me yesterday (Monday) that you were going to work, still felt nauseous but glad to be out of the house. I really expected this to be your worst treatment - what do you think? I`m so happy you were able to at least attempt to go to work yesterday. Hope things are looking a little better today. Now you can expect to feel un poco mejor cada dia (a little better every day). Love you and miss you, mama

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather Pooh...I have to tell you again that I truly think about you every single day. I am trying to send you warm hugs and encouragment in my thoughts. You are going through perhaps the hardest part now, but you will get through it and come out good as new. You have an awesome spirit and I am so proud of you.
I love you honey.
Aunt Joan

Anonymous said...

Hey Sister, I think and pray for you everyday. It hurts me that you are going thru this, if I could I would do every other Thursday for you. How is Rene doing with the house work? Let me know what I can do, I'm always worried that if I call you have just fallen asleep. Call me.
Love you, Deedra