Thursday, December 30, 2004

1) So what about Bob??

On November 15th I noticed a lump just above my left collar bone. I went to the Doctor the following week. I was referred to an Ear Nose & Throat doc on December 1 and that day he did a needle biopsy on my lump. Over the next couple of days, while awaiting the results, Rene and I decided that this lump was going to be nothing more than a lymph node and that we should give it a name. We named my lump Bob. The result came back undiagnostic so a surgical biopsy was scheduled for the following week.

December 9th I had surgery to remove Bob and at that time the Doctor told my husband that it looked like Lymphoma. Mamma Mackin flew in that day to help take care of me (yummy chicken soup!!) and was with us on Monday morning for the results of the biopsy. As it turns out, Bob was not friendly and he had company...

I'm feeling a bit like I've been abducted by aliens as I have had so many tests and needle pokings the last few weeks. Started with the biopsies, then had a PET scan, blood test, chest Xray, CT Scan, more blood tests, HIV test (negative), and worse than them all combined...a bone marrow aspiration. That one still gives me the willies thinking about it. All that and my current oncologist (Dr. Sabina Wallach, Chief-of-Staff Scripps Memorial Hospital La Jolla) has yet to officially stage my disease but has given Bob an initial Stage IIB diagnosis. I have an appointment with another oncologist on Monday for a second opinion; however, seeing as how my current doctor is on vacation, the new doc will really be giving me the first opinion.

On the bright side, I started a new job today and it is awesome!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

FIRST! I want to let you know that I think this is a great idea and I love you deeply. Im with you all the way Boom Boom!! Your loving husband, Rene.

Teri said...

Ok I'll take sloppy seconds! Heat, I love you and I swear that it will never again take me 6 months to call you back! ;) And if you ever need that turkey sandwich you know the number! And you're so lucky to have such an awesome husband! Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Hey Sister, what a great idea! You're probably tired of saying the same things over and over. Know that I am here if you or Rene ever need anything. I can be a pretty good housekeeper.
We love you major. Raul, Deedra and Chad

Anonymous said...

Hey guys, it was great seeing you this week. Thank you major for dinner. Call me and let me know about Thursday, if you need a ride or just want to veg while traffic passes. What do you want for dinner?
Love, Deedra

Anonymous said...

You rock on sister...You are such a beautiful and strong woman. My kids and I are so lucky to have you in our lives. With all our love... Diana, Jeff Jr, Amber and Stephanie...

Anonymous said...

Hey you,
Thinking about you, I really hope you are feeling well. Raul and I enjoyed our visit on Saturday. I totally love your new wig, you need to post pictures. Take care and call if you need anything.
You and Rene both are in our daily prayers.
Love, Deedra